Hyack Interactive offers specialized resume development and career counselling services by our trusted partner, Kathleen McConnell. With over six years of experience in career advising in a university setting and another three years of experience in training and development, Kathleen has seen thousands of resumes and coached hundreds of people to achieve their career goals. She brings a strong understanding of self-assessment, labour market trends and recruitment practices to provide advice to her clients. She has experience working with clients seeking roles in Marketing, Technology, Human Resources, Management, Non-Profit, Operations, Supply Chain, Finance, Accounting, Energy and Utilities.
Services offered range from resumes only, cover letter writing, interview preparation, career path and self-assessment, to labour market research, and are best suited to professionals with more than three years of experience in their field or who have experience but are wanting to shift into new industries or job functions.
Having not been job hunting for a decade I knew my resume and cover letters required a good polish, Kathleen and Hyack Interactive were instrumental in helping me in this updating process. Thanks to their help my new resume and their guidance with my cover letters consistently opened every interview door I sent it towards. Their professionalism and knowledge of what recruiters are looking for was absolutely perfect. ~Matt L
Resume or Cover Letter Review Only Details
- Goals: To review your current resume or cover letter and provide feedback on where it could be improved. This is great for people applying for a specific job or not. If you have a specific job in mind we’ll review your cover letter or resume with that in mind. This review usually takes place over email, and is a great way to get a “second opinion” on a resume or cover letter you’ve developed yourself.
- What we will ask from you: Provide us with the resume or cover letter, and (if applicable) the job posting you are applying for.
- What we deliver: Kathleen will review your resume or cover letter and will provide a bulleted list of possible improvements you might wish to consider.
Cost: $75 + GST
Resume Only Writing Details
- Goals: To build a resume which best represents your skills, strengths and experience, tailored to the type of jobs you want to apply for. This option is best if you do not have a specific job in mind that you want to apply for or are just starting a job search.
- What we will ask from you: After reviewing your current resume, Kathleen will ask you 10-25 specific questions regarding the experience outlined in your resume to uncover results and skills – the things most often missing from a resume. She will also ask you some questions about your career goals. She will ask you to provide that information, as best you can, via a phone call or over e-mail.
- What we deliver: A 1-2 page formatted resume that is tailored for the types of jobs you want and highlights your skills, experience and strengths.
Cost: $225 + GST
Cover Letter and Resume Writing Details
- Goals: To build a resume and cover letter application package tailored to a specific job which best represents your competitive advantage as an applicant, including your top skills, strengths and experience.
- What we will ask from you: After reviewing the job posting, your current resume and recent cover letter, Kathleen will ask you 10-25 specific questions about your experience and/or the qualifications asked for in the job posting. She will also ask you some questions about your career goals and your interest in the particular company you are applying for. She will ask you to provide that information, as best you can, via a phone call or over e-mail.
- What we deliver: A 1-2 page formatted resume and a 1 page formatted cover letter that is tailored to the specific job you are planning to apply to and best highlights your skills, experience and strengths. This resume and cover letter could be modified by you to apply to other jobs in the future.
Cost: $275 + GST
Career Path and Self-Assessment Consultation Details
- Goals: To identify a career path you need to understand yourself and understand what jobs are out there. Talking to a career professional who knows about a wide variety of roles and how different people’s interests, strengths, skills and values fit into those roles can make a big difference.
- What we will ask from you: Before we meet, Kathleen will ask you to complete a variety of online career assessment tools and send her the results. These assessment tests may be free or at minimal cost (less than $25), but need to be covered by the client.
- What we deliver: One hour discussion in person, on the phone or via Skype where we will debrief on the assessments and talk about 2-3 career paths that may be a fit. After the session, Kathleen will follow up with additional resources for further research and exploration when appropriate.
Cost: $250 + GST (+ applicable fees for online assessments)
Job Search Strategy and Labour Market Information Consultation Details
- Goals: To provide advice on how to effectively engage in job search to identify and secure a job that meets your career goals, utilizing labour market information to strategize about particular industries, companies or locations to target.
- What we will ask from you: Provide a detailed resume and answer a short questionnaire about your career goals, which will form the basis for the labour market research. Then participate in a one hour coaching session over the phone to discuss strategies and develop a personalized action plan.
- What we deliver: Labour market research information and recommendations based on your career goals and a one hour coaching session to produce a personalized action plan. Finalized action plan will be delivered within three business days of the coaching session via e-mail.
Cost: $250 + GST
Interview Preparation Consultation Details
- Goals: To provide advice on how to prepare for an interview for a specific job. The ability to interview well is a learned skill that requires understanding of your skills, strengths and experience in relation to the specific role and company you are interviewing with.
- What we will ask from you: To provide the job description and your application for the specific job, followed by a 1.5 hour coaching session.
- What we deliver: A tailored 10 question Mock Interview in the coaching session, based on the specific job description and application package you provided. Kathleen will then provide you with specific feedback on what you are doing well, suggestions on how to improve and action items to help you further prepare for your interview.
Cost: $200 + GST